Teens and Preteens
Is your teen or preteen struggling? Are arguments with your teen taking over your relationship? I truly love working with teens, and my clients say I help them build a bridge of communication between my teen clients and their parents.
Some areas of focus for teen and preteen therapy might include:
- Redirecting parent-teen conflict toward constructive communication, finding new ways to connect and relate
- Helping teens cope with family changes like moving, divorce, loss
- Handling intense academic pressures, test anxiety, stress
- Working with negative body image, dieting, and emotional eating
- Constructively handling bullying, peer pressure, social media - supporting your teen in thinking for themselves
- Building social skills while not always needing to "fit in" with the crowd
- Developing a healthy body image in the face of enormous peer/media pressure to be thin/pretty/impossibly perfect
- Helping students with the difficult transition to Middle School and High School
- Developing true self-confidence and self worth
- Strengthening goals, intentions, expanding on dreams of future
- Reducing dangerous risk-taking, strengthening internal compass
- Exploring healthy boundaries with dating, sexuality
- Coping with feelings of sadness, lethargy, depression
- Healing past or current trauma, abuse
- Coping with and processing grief and loss
The teen and preteen years are a vulnerable time for families, but counseling can help ease the growing pains. Teens, parents, and their relationships are my top priority, and I have seen families make huge positive changes in their lives and relationships. No matter how challenging your situation, there is always hope.
Contact me to set up a session.